The Grand Furpile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum by deviant weirdos for deviant weirdos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So about FAF...

+2
[Vae]
Wolf-Bone
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1So about FAF... Empty So about FAF... Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

This is what I posted, or rather, what Xaerun posted on my behalf in an appeal to get unbanned from FAF. Keep in mind, this is the third time this has happened, and each time, it's because a current staff member would be open to the possibility of unbanning me after all this time. The old guard, unanimously, always shoot them down. What always brings this about is either them saying directly they'd like to see me back on FAF, or other users saying as much and me reaching out to what staff members will actually talk to me when I hear about it. Well, after this, I'm done. Here's what I wrote.

me wrote:Where to begin... Three times now I've either been in a conversation with a random FAF staff member, or been mentioned in a FAF thread. Three times now, this has led to me writing an appeal at their suggestion/request. I'm at the point where I wish FAF would just move on from me as well as I've moved on from it. But perhaps there's purpose in these exchanges.

First of all, Xaerun gave me something I've wanted since I was banned, and that's a real explanation. It was pretty much as I thought, that FAF's staff deem someone like me to be inherently contrary to "the forum's best interests". In other words, it boils down purely to personality differences and petty disputes, as evidenced by my posts being called "negative" and "toxic". But all I really wanted was the truth. I'm not going to dispute that much of what's said about me was true. But that wasn't all there was to me even back then. I don't think I'd still have as many friends from FAF as I do if that were the case. Or at least, I wouldn't have kept those friends as long as I have.

The other reason I've made and kept those friends is because I actually started to do something about myself. I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't easy to be around back then. The truth is, I didn't like myself too much, so I don't blame people for the same. But what I don't think people understand, and I wish they did, is that rarely was I ever really angry at whoever I was sparring with on the forums. I was just angry in general, and using whoever would listen as basically my soundboard. Maybe there can be purpose in that, but usually, it wasn't fulfilled the way I did it, and I am sorry for that. I'm also sorry if people thought I genuinely hated them and sought to make them as miserable as I was.

That being said, there are plenty of people who are negative, disruptive and toxic. They don't all get banned. And it seems those who truly deserve it will more often than not prove it by ban evading or taking their sideshow to the main site, getting banned from there as well. I did neither. Because whatever motivates those kinds of people just doesn't motivate me. I don't want to be anywhere and not be Wolf-Bone. I'm not interested in coming back under some disguise. If I wanted to come back at all, it would be just to rectify whatever wrongs I've done, and set the record straight about who I really am.

It's funny how this whole thing started. I just posted a comment about yet another FAF thread I got linked to from elsewhere on a Facebook group me and Xaerun are both members of. Of course, because it's FAF, the gist of the message is, I don't like what I see, even from (especially from) people I'd like to consider friends. Thing is, neither of us knew who the other was. And because of that, we both assumed the worst about the other person. Yet within a few minutes, we were at least being civil with one another and that's when Xaerun extended the offer to me, to relay this message.

I allowed few on FAF to really get to know me. I regret that, deeply. Even though I still have my friends, many of whom I first knew from there, we're better friends now, because I've allowed myself to see the real them, and them to see the real me. The longer I take my antidepressants, keep in touch with the friends I've made, and basically just stop looking for shit to be angry about, the less chance I see of me ever being like I was again.

Look, I'm well past the point of wanting to be on FAF that damned bad. Like I said, when I look at it lately, I don't like what I see. So why am I bothering with this? Because someone asked me to, and because others have in the past. I don't want to feel "vindicated" or whatever by being unbanned. Because I wouldn't. I don't like perceptions of me based on things from, literally, years past, being held against me through the entire time I've been changing.

If you do unban me, you're not going to see some gloating, prancing victory lap around the forums. You probably won't see anything beyond a copy of this very message. If you're not going to unban me, it would be good of you to at least post it on my behalf. For the people who keep referring to me, mocking me, missing me, and starting these exchanges which lead me back to this place. I only want one thing, and that's for all who still hold a grudge against me to believe these words are true.
According to Xaerun, most of not all the newer folks (at least those who didn't "abstain" which I assume means "I'm not weighing in because I'm afraid of looking bad for having the wrong opinion") thought I was sincere and deserve a chance to prove myself. I doubt all the old guard even read what I wrote, or if they did, didn't see it as anything but a crass, manipulative ploy to worm my way back into the fold and disturb their shit.

To wit, one thing they pulled up to rationalize keeping me banned was a "ban-evasion" that I had nothing to do with. Someone I and all of you know, created an alt account called Homosexuality on a lark, and I commented on their userpage. Because of that, they assumed this person was me. As if I'd be stupid enough to make an alt and draw attention to it/myself by posting on it as myself.

All the other reasons boil down to the same past bullshit I acknowledge, own up to and, for everyone else, prove I've moved on from and am no longer about. The reason I even think it's worth posting about what's gone down over the past few days is because it's forced me to ask, if I was as bad as they think I am, well, what incentive would I have to be any different? Trying to do anything good or right is pointless. Efforts to change and be accepted as having changed are fruitless. Appeals to reason and just basic, common courtesy and decency fall on deaf ears.

I can't help but come to see FAF as its own worst enemy. It's great at punishing bad behavior or just any behavior or personality type they don't look, but offer absolutely no incentive whatsoever to try to do things the right way or work with them in a way that gives anyone but themselves any peace of mind.

At this point, the only good I can say about any of FAF's staff is that several of the more recent additions have been willing to hear me out and even take my words and intentions as being honest. And one of them even encouraged me to get this message out any way I can, up to and including having anyone still a member there copy and paste it on my behalf. So that's what I feel it necessary to ask of anyone who gives a damn about me or that place. Things will never change until the old guard do, which is unlikely, or until people stop sticking to FAF just because it's FAF and invest in the alternatives that are out there.

I'm not just asking you to do this for me, but for yourselves as well. I said in my message that, in the past, FAF's members deserved better than what I was giving them. But they also deserve better than what FAF itself gives them. I'm no longer hiding behind the excuse that FAF made me what I was and, by that same token, see no excuse for FAF to hide behind.

2So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 pm

[Vae]

[Vae]
Spaceship

I didn't even know you got banned. I thought you just left FAF for the Time Wasters forum.

And jesus, whose cereal did you piss in to make them hold a grudge like that?
That's pretty shitty.

http://sailorgradius.tumblr.com/

3So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:00 am

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

[Vae] wrote:I didn't even know you got banned. I thought you just left FAF for the Time Wasters forum.

And jesus, whose cereal did you piss in to make them hold a grudge like that?
That's pretty shitty.
I think I'd already joined at least one incarnation of GTWF before being permabanned. But I didn't really invest as much time and effort into it as I should've, until I got banned for good. And in that sense, I'm just as guilty as everyone else who gets banned from FAF basically for shitposting and raising hell out of their disgust for the state of affairs there.

And why they hold a grudge? Because I'm "toxic and negative"... Just not in the way they like. You know, like the majority of the fucking staff themselves.

4So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am

Kaiser

Kaiser
Remember Me

You are so popufur

5So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

XoPachi

XoPachi

Eversleep ruins everything.

6So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:16 am

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

Kaiser wrote:You are so popufur
If I was "popufur" I never would've been banned in the first place. Not for anything I did or said anyway. To be banned if you're popufur, you actually have to damage or threaten the site in some way. Which is how it damn well ought to be for everyone.

7So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Tango

Tango
Pony Slayer

Eh, FAF is a shit hole anyway.

8So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

Okay, bumping this because it needs to be bumped in light of what went down last night. I think I'll start with the narrative spun by Xaerun. Might as well just copy-paste what he wrote on FAF.

Wolf-Bone approached me with a similar statement (as his thread slightly covers). I was sympathetic, as I'm a firm believer in second chances. Unfortunately, his appeal was denied. He then turned venomous, claiming I had planned on being an asshole from the start, that I aimed to mock him, et cetera (me deleting a screencap of me posting his appeal was some sort of clever ploy, rather than not desiring mod business to be drifting around Imgur, for example). I'm sure literally any of the staff here would be happy to back me in saying I was in support of his return. Whilst I thought (or perhaps, wanted to think) he had improved, Wolf-Bone has become a bitter, horrible shadow, and I have no interest in him being here any more.

Kindly tell Wolf-Bone he can't keep picking mouthpieces whenever it suits, and I'm sorry you've been drawn in.
Thread's done.
Here's what actually happened. Xaerun told me he was going to provide screencaps of the whole thing, which he never did, and that initial screencap was gone almost as soon as it was posted. So naturally, I was suspicious. Keep in mind, what started the entire exchange was my post on a Facebook group about FAF and his incredibly condescending replies to it. We didn't fully trust each other from the outset. During the discussions both over PM and Skype that lead to him submitting my appeal, he basically flip-flopped between saying he did think I'd changed and deserved a shot and saying he saw no evidence of such and that he wouldn't support a ban appeal at all. So it was pretty hard for me to believe with any confidence that I knew where he stood. The message I wrote to the staff was entirely my thoughts, but it was Xaerun's suggestion that I write it at all. So the only thing I knew for certain was that he wanted some kind of exchange between me and them, and I went along with it because the worst that could come of it was the same shit I've been subjected to in the past, which isn't anything I'm not used to at this point.

When the guy who approached me on Facebook, approached me with requests to get on Skype and submit my words and thoughts to his buddies seems to disappear once he's got what he asked for, doesn't keep me up to speed on what's going on or follow through with the screencaps he insisted on providing as if I'd have demanded them as proof (which I didn't and wouldn't have), can you blame me for thinking this is pretty sketchy? So when I finally did get ahold of him, I said basically that I hope you guys all had a good laugh at my expense, etc. Remember, me and Xaerun used to be part of a clique that existed pretty much for no other purpose. Xaerun talks like the onus is entirely on me to have changed just because he's an admin now, whereas I don't think someone can just be assumed to have turned over a new leaf because of their status.

As for Zara's role in this whole thing, I'm sure it was at least partly brought about because of my venting about FAF and that situation with Xaerun. But Zara will be the first to tell you, a post like that was a long time coming. It's not just me, it's JCFynx, Bobskunk, probably even Ricky, just the inability to read back through any thread more than a year old without seeing name after name crossed out in red. I never goaded him into posting that thread. I did mention, jokingly he should scream "FREE WOOBY" before it got shut down but he said he was already going to do that and put it in the title even. All I said was, well, I can't stop ya.

The same way Xaerun & Co. are convinced I'm bitter, toxic, negative, venomous, etc, I was convinced he and perhaps they had an agenda. I took Xaerun at his word when he said he wanted me back. I was suspicious when things started to look sketchy, but he told me it wasn't as it seemed and, again, I took him at his word. And while he and Arshes now say third-party ban appeals are a no-no, Xaerun actually did encourage me to have others copy-paste my original message on FAF. I suspect had Zara or anyone else actually done just that, the response would be more or less the same.

I think it's telling that he can't even entertain the thought that I didn't put anyone up to this, that no one could actually hold those thoughts independently. That someone couldn't genuinely think I wasn't all the bad shit they said I was unless I was manipulating them somehow. It's really insulting to Zara's intelligence and if I were him, I'd be pissed, but he probably cares less than I do.

One of the last things I said to Xaerun in our discussions, after he expressed how he feels a bit jaded by FAF and his role on it (primarily to delete spam instead of actually be in real discussions with like minded folk), was that if he ever decided he'd had enough of that, he'd always be welcome here. I'm not sure if that's still true, but needless to say, I and the clique I now roll with aren't nearly as bitter, spiteful or negative as we're made out to be and at this point, the endless accusations of such are starting to look like a case of massive, group-wide projection.

9So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Lucy

Lucy
Randy, get my bow!

FAF sucks

https://grandfurpile.rpg-board.net

10So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

Lucy, how about actually adding to the points made instead of insulting your own forum in the attempt to dis FAF? I'm sure you got plenty of stories to tell, having been banned for posting text penises.

11So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Lucy

Lucy
Randy, get my bow!

Lol There's really no point in going on about it anymore.

It's no real secret that FAF is a terribly run forum. It's why smaller forums like this one exist.

I don't need to seriously diss FAF. They do it themselves.

12So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

Lucy, mark my words, FA can't go on the way it has indefinitely. People crave something more. But they stick with FA out of a sense of better the devil you know. Fringe groups like this always have and always will spring up from time to time, and will always wither away until people can see for themselves, plain as day, that this is some new shit. I'm trying my damnedest to make it known to anyone who will listen, GFP is some new shit. Just like I did with GTWF. I want to help you, so help me to help you.

13So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Lucy

Lucy
Randy, get my bow!

Dude, just don't worry about it too much.

FAF is gonna do its thing. It's probably not going to do much better within a few years due to different sites popping up and getting successful.

We can just continue to do our thing, advertise, spread the word, and hopefully get more people to come and join us.

14So about FAF... Empty Re: So about FAF... Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

First impressions count for a lot. I don't think just saying "FAF sucks" makes a good one. We gotta be about more than that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum